Pennsylvania Guardianship Lawyer

Pittsburgh Special Needs Guardianship Attorney

Establishing a guardianship for your adult child in an emergency situation is stressful and can be costly. When possible, it is better to do this proactively and avoid the challenges of an emergency guardianship.

At McMorrow Law, LLC, we help families with special needs children or incapacitated adults plan for the future. Our lawyer has extensive experience with Pennsylvania guardianships and other estate planning needs. Please speak with a Pittsburgh special needs guardianship attorney to learn more.

Plan Ahead So You Can Make Decisions For Your Adult Child

When special needs children turn 18, they are considered adults and their parents may need a guardianship to make decisions for them. In these cases, you cannot set up powers of attorney because the ward does not have the capacity to understand the documents. Parents or loved ones will need to establish a guardianship instead.

As legal guardians of their adult child, parents can make decisions involving issues such as:

  • Health care
  • Finances
  • Legal matters

In addition, under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), parents need to be legal guardians to discuss their adult child's medical information with doctors.

Our attorney can set up a guardianship for your adult special needs child. It is advisable to begin this process before your child turns 18 so you will be prepared in the event of an illness, accident or other emergency.

Attorney Brooke B. McMorrow can also serve in a temporary and limited guardianship capacity to transfer funds on behalf of a minor who receives funds as a beneficiary. She receives the funds, opens the account and deposits the money on the minor's behalf.

Contact An Allegheny County Guardianship Attorney for a Free Consultation

To schedule an appointment, please call 412-407-2816 | 724-940-0100 or contact us online for a free initial consultation.

Guardianship Brochure